Staying at home should by no means be synonymous with quitting your healthy habits. Here are some guidelines from our chief of Cardiology service at Hospiten Estepona, Doctor Antonio Ramirez, for senior citizens to remain safe and sound at home, along with a number of recommendations for them to bear in mind:
- Only go out if it is really necessary
- It’s important to eat well. Follow a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
- Continue taking your regular medication, don’t overlook the importance of doing so.
- Try not to remain seated all the time, go for a walk, even if this means just walking down the hall every so often.
- If you have a balcony or window which lets in the sun, vitamin D is beneficial.
- Rely only on information from trustworthy, accredited sources. Don’t pay any attention to fake news.
Furthermore, Doctor Antonio Ramirez reminds us that preventive measures for senior citizens are the same as for the rest of the population:
- Increase hand-washing hygiene: for at least 40 seconds, using plenty of soap and water.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue when you cough.
- Sneeze into the inner part of your elbow.
- Restrict visits from family or friends and, above all, from people showing coronavirus symptoms.
- Limit contact with small children.