The Hospiten Group acquires 39.98% of MD Anderson Cancer Center Madrid stock, an affiliate of the prestigious MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, until now held by Cartera Industrial Rea, and now controls 99.97% of the capital. The remaining 0.03% corresponds to MD Anderson Cancer Center Houston.
Thus, with this acquisition, the Hospiten Group strengthens their position in the global management of the only center specializing exclusively in cancer in the Autonomous Region of Madrid, recognized as such by the Ministry of Health, Social Affairs and Equality. Cartera Industrial Rea describe the operation as part of their strategy of rotating their investment portfolio.
"By means of this acquisition, the Hospiten Group has demonstrated their total commitment to the future project of MD Anderson Cancer Center Madrid and more committed than ever to quality healthcare by increasing the value of the hospital services at the center", states Dr Pedro Luis Cobiella, President of the Hospiten Group and of MD Anderson Cancer Center Madrid.
Founded in the year 2000, MD Anderson Cancer Center Madrid is the first international affiliate of the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas and focuses on the prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of cancer. The center, located in Calle Arturo Soria in Madrid, has facilities measuring some 15,300 m2, a hundred beds and about 400 employees with which the center cared for over 36,000 patients in the year 2011.
The Hospiten Group is an international healthcare network committed to providing first rate services. The group has more than 40 years' experience in healthcare management, sixteen private medical-hospital centers in Spain, the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Jamaica, in addition to over a hundred private and associated outpatient health centers under the brand name Clinic Assist. This business structure enables the group to attend over a million patients a year from all over the world, employ more than 3,200 people, provides an annual turnover of 219 million Euros and represents an investment of 6.9 million Euros for the year 2011.
About MD Anderson Cancer Center Madrid
MD Anderson Cancer Center Madrid is an affiliate of the prestigious University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston - the leading cancer care center in the United States according to the prestigious journal "Best Hospitals" in the U.S. News and World Report. After twelve years in Spain, MD Anderson Cancer Center Madrid currently has modern facilities with more than 150 specialists in oncology, a total of 87 hospitalization beds and state-of-the-art technology for the diagnosis and treatment of the different types of cancer.
This great infrastructure, together with the continuous, close collaboration with the sister center in Houston in the fields of investigation and protocols for diagnosis and treatment with the participation of a multidisciplinary team of specialists, makes MD Anderson Cancer Center Madrid one of the leading hospitals in Europe in cancer treatment.